Friday, August 31, 2012

No Love Lost on the Dark Star, Ep. 5: Fluid Dynamics

Golke wakes up wondering why he still bothers to wake up.

"I don't suppose you fine gentlemen have some rations you'd care to share with a hungry prisoner?"

"Get him a torb pack, Liske." Balistoi non-nonchalantly orders his apprentice. Liske retrieves a small tin of greenish meat, with an oily ground texture. He pulls the tab, and then stirs the contents around a bit.

"You don't really expect me to eat that, do you?" Golke says. "That stuff tastes like a charodon's ass, only someone tried to mask it with soy sauce and sugar. Torbs ain't meant for humans."

"Nonsense." Liske replies. "It's formula meets all of a human's dietary needs."

"Then why does my body react like it's poison?" Golke snaps back.

"It's torb or nothing." Balis adds, calmly. "We don't carry much else in the way of human food."

"I'll tell you what, you can untie me, and I can do a little hunting. I bet I can shoot enough Anci in that plain to feed the three of us for a week." Golke says, gesturing to the area just beyond the gray desert.

"You don't think much of me, do you?" Balis replies. "I let you free with a sidearm, why would you ever come back?"

"You know what, that hadn't even occurred to me, but you're right, I probably couldn't pass up that opportunity." Golke says, smiling. "We're on the same team now though, right? If we want to be ready to collect this bounty and make our getaway, I'm going to need to have a hand free."

Balistoi sighs.

"It does seem... inevitable." He replies.

"What are you saying?" Liske is taken aback. "We can't trust this hominid!"

"You're still young." Balis answers. "You will eventually begin to understand that nothing is exactly what it seems on the surface."

"You surprise me, Nonck." Liske answers using the respectful title for his master, to show his submission.

"I know, Orso. I know. You'll have to be prepared to adjust to fluid situations. The rules change all the time."

"Hey guys." Golke breaks in. "This is real sweet and all, but aren't you forgetting something?"

"That's right." Liske replies, before shoving a spoonful of the torb into Golke's mouth.

"GACK, ugh.." Golke tries to spit it out, but liske covers his mouth and massages his throat. Eventually he swallows.

"What did I ever do to you, kid?" Golke says weakly, sweating and turning pale.

"That should render him safe to untie." Liske says, looking to Balistoi.

"You're learning fast." Balistoi says, moving to untie their prisoner. "Snap out of it, Golke. You'll survive."

"That's the worst part." Golke replies, groaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment